Diamonds are considered to be the most sought-after gemstones. It is also the most popular precious stone used in the jewellery business today, because of its spell-bounding aura and great brilliance that never failed to captivate any woman who had set eyes on it.
Now that you are about to propose marriage to the love of your life, you are faced with a complex decision on which diamond ring to buy for her. Shopping for the best diamond engagement rings in Sydney is something that you do not do every day. Diamond ring shopping is a considerable and astonishing investment. However, you should know that every diamond is unique and are not created equal. They come in many shapes, sizes, and colours.
So before making any purchase, let us provide you with some essential pointers to help you assess the quality of the diamond you are looking to buy.
GETTING TO KNOW THE DIAMOND 4Cs
The 4Cs stand for cut, colour, clarity, and carat of a diamond. These are the factors that describe the individual qualities of a polished diamond. Professional jewellers used the 4Cs as a part of an international language for diamond assessment.
• Cut – the cut is a determining factor of a diamond’s beauty. Its sparkle and fire depend on how well the diamond is cut. Poorly cut diamonds often look dull and lifeless.
• Colour – it refers to the tranparency or whiteness of a diamond on the grading scale. The colour of a diamond range from colorless to light yellow. Colourless diamonds are considered to rare and most valuable.
GIA Colour Scale
* D-E-F (colourless)
* G-H-I-J (nearly colourless)
* K-L-M-N (faint)
* O-P-Q-R (very light)
* S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z (light yellowish)
• Clarity – unknown to most people, diamonds have flaws and are not entirely perfect. These internal features are known as inclusions, while its surface irregularities are known as blemishes. These flaws are called clarity characteristics. Therefore the clarity of a diamond refers to the absence inclusions and blemishes.
GIA Clarity Scale
* Internally flawless
* VVS1 – VVS2 (very, very slightly included)
* VS1 – VS2 (very slightly included)
* S1 – S2 (slightly included)
* I1 – I2 – I3 (included)
• Carat – it refers to the weight of a diamond, not its size. Two diamonds can have the same carat weight, but differ in sizes.
Keeping the 4Cs in mind when shopping for a diamond engagement ring can be extremely helpful in ensuring that you are buying a quality diamond and that you are getting your money’s worth. Did you have more ideas? Let us know in the comments!